Atlantic (Athens, Georgia)
Area Forester (Southern Alabama)View Job Details >>
The position is responsible for the operational execution of harvest, silviculture and inventory activities. Responsible for the oversight of contractors that will perform the majority of the harvesting, silviculture, inventory and property management activities, to ensure contractor compliance with contract terms. The position is responsible for timely compliance with all aspects of contract administration. The position requires working knowledge of SFI certification requirements, state Best Management Practices (BMPs) and local ordinances regarding commercial timber harvest and transportation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (other duties may be assigned)
- Assure a safe workplace. Take personal initiative and responsibility to ensure ongoing safe behaviors through implementation and active participation in the company safety program.
- Assist with the layout of harvest settings and haul roads to ensure productivity with the least environmental impact, maintaining compliance with all state and federal regulations.
- Oversee contract logging and road building/maintenance program. Provide direct oversight of contracted work. Perform timely field checks to ensure contract and harvest plan compliance.
- Assist with harvest operations planning in a manner to minimize moves, maximize capacity efficiency, and provide accurate production information and log sales forecasts.
- Administer site preparation, planting and other silviculture plans.
- Conduct/oversee property line surveying and marking, maintenance of gates and monitoring encroachment within the region.
- Monitor hunting club field activities to ensure compliance with the terms of the recreation lease agreement.
- Ensure consistent and accurate application and communication of policies and procedures designed to promote efficiency and productivity.
- Ensure compliance with SFI policies and procedures, state Best Management Practices and local ordinances regarding timber harvesting and hauling.
- Utilize communication and negotiation skills when interaction with members of the community is required.
- Represent the Company at public meetings and community events, as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forest Management, Natural Resource Management, or equivalent, plus three to seven years of operational experience. If the incumbent does not have a B.S. degree, industry experience will be considered.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Exhibit high professional and ethical standards.
- Be highly motivated and self-directed.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Exhibit strong leadership skills. Work with integrity, trust and commitment, setting an example for others.
- Maintain effective and professional relationships with co-workers within immediate work group, outside the immediate department, and with key contacts outside the Company including regulatory agencies.
- Exhibit effective and productive communications skills; approachable and open to discussion, being persuasive in discussions regarding conflicts over resource use, as well as have highly developed written communication skills.
- Manage multiple priorities professionally with minimum disruption to others. Organized and proactively manages environment. Responds to unexpected challenges successfully without losing track of daily responsibilities. Prioritize workload in order of importance. Reliably follow through with job assignments.
- Learn, apply and retain new methods and information. Creative in solving problems. Exhibit a “can do” attitude with a positive approach to challenges. View obstacles as opportunities to learn and grow.
- Willingness to invest time when projects demand more time commitment to accomplish important and/or timely goals.
- The ability to work unsupervised.
- Familiarity with GIS.
- Willingness to participate in continuing education programs and training related to the forestry profession.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- This position is located in Southern Alabama.
- Field work in addition to a normal office environment with moderate noise levels, occasional lifting, regular walking, sitting, bending, twisting, standing and reaching.
- Ability to orient, climb, and traverse rugged, densely vegetated terrain on a consistent basis in in sometimes harsh weather conditions for long periods of time.
- Must have ability to work independently and without immediate supervision in remote areas.
- Occasional travel to various locations requiring a vehicle and ability to drive.
- Ability to tour logging operations, attend training and company functions.
- Ability to perform consistent and accurate work on a PC.
- Must maintain punctual and regular attendance and present appropriate professional appearance at all times.
- Requires the use of standard safety equipment in regulation with Company policy.
- Works in conditions that may expose employee to wildlife encounters, firefighting, reptiles and/or insects.
- This position may be exposed to marking paint, gas, diesel fumes, pollens and smoke.
- This position is a Physical and Mental Requirement Classification 3.
To apply click the link below to access our online application system. Please upload a cover letter with your resume.
If you have technical problems accessing the online system email your cover letter and resume to Laura Baltadonis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send resumes to Laura Baltadonis at email@example.com.
Position open until filled.